Sunday, April 20, 2008

C's First Embroidery and My WIP

When my oldest daughter, C, turned 5, one of the things that I made for her present was this sewing kit. I made everything I could think she would need and bought the rest. I later found this old box, in which my sunglasses came in, and thought it would be the perfect size to hold everything. So, to add a bit of color and cuteness, I finally made a pincushion and sewed a piece of elastic to wrap around the box and keep all it's contents safely inside.

In the kit I included another pincushion with some pins with button heads, a needle threader, a needle book with large needles, a pair of safety scissors, embroidery thread, some embroidery thread holders made out of fabric wrapped cardboard and a jar of buttons (not pictured here).

Here is C, 5 months after her birthday and she finally decided it was time to learn to sew. And since I was doing my own embroidery, I thought it would be easy to teach her to do that. I did all of the needle threading, knotting and fixing any tangles, but she did the rest all on her own. I'm so proud of her!

Here she is hard at work!

And here is her finished work. We still haven't decided what we should do with her first embroidery. It's pretty small, so I was thinking that maybe I could teach her to sew it into a small pillow in which we could put some lavender inside to make a drawer sachet and give away as a gift. Or I could just leave it as is and hang it up on our wall. I'll make sure to post on it once we decide what to do with it.
And here is my latest WIP. Another embroidery/applique made using another one of C's and M's drawings. This embroidery project will be a gift to my MIL, Grandma K, for Mother's Day. I hope she doesn't read my blog, otherwise the surprise will be spoiled! I doubt that she does.