Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday to My Fairy Princess!

In the picture above you'll see all the little fairies and my sister acting as the big fairy, to help lead all the little ones from one activity to another. I was gonna play that part, but felt that I would be too stressed out to be any fun, so I was more of a director. I made tutus and matching crowns for all the little fairies and M got to wear a dress-like tutu with large daisy flowers on the top, across her chest. She looked so adorable! I didn't get any other close-ups of her or big sis, C, in their costumes. But hopefully, my friend Jessica, the photographer at the party was able to get better pictures than mine so I can post them here later.

Here is one of the art activities I had for the girls. They got to make their own beaded necklace with their names on it. As you can see, they were really enjoying it!

I also had an activity for all the little fairies to make their own wand, and you can probably see from the picture above, some of the wands the fairies decorated. I had the stars already cut and attached to a stick, so all they had to do was color them and glue glitter, sequins and other sparkly things.

I also got the fairies small bottles of body glitter that they could easily roll-on, so they weren't too messy and some kid-sized bottles of nail polish; and so we then went ahead and gave them fairy "make-overs". Obviously these girls didn't need any make-up, much less make-overs, but I thought they would enjoy sparkling up to get more into their make-believe play.

After that I read to them two stories about fairies. One was called Princess, Princess by Penny Dale. It was a story about a little princess having a fairy party, so it went with our theme and was a nice and short introduction to fairies for those little ones who perhaps hadn't known anything about fairies. The second book, The Tooth Fairy by Michael Rex, was a story without any words in it. The story about the tooth fairy was told in pictures, and so I made it up on my own as we went from picture to picture. I wanted to tell a story about the tooth fairy because I wanted it to transition to the next activity, which was a coin hunt.

I told the little fairies that the tooth fairy had flown by the park (where we held the party. forgot to mention!) over night and accidentally lost her coins, and only children were allowed to collect and keep the coins as a gift from the tooth fairy. I then handed each of the fairies their own goody bag, already holding some treats inside, to collect their coins. The coins were foil covered chocolate in coin shapes. The fairies had fun collecting their coins, but unfortunately the younger ones, including M, were a little too slow to collect so were lucky if they even got one!

And the last activity we did was to make "fairy food" to thank the Tooth fairy for the chocolate coins and to try to attract fairies, in hopes of seeing one! I let the girls measure out 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/2 a teaspoon of whatever color glitter they liked. I was prepared and had many different colors to choose from! After they poured their fairy food mixture into their zip lock baggies, I attached a label I made that stated the instructions, ingredients, and a warning to make sure the kiddies didn't try to eat it, on the back of the label and the front had the words "fairy food" and a picture of the fairy doll I made of M.

So, the party favors were the fairy food, beaded necklaces, fairy wands, and the goody bags that held the chocolate coins, a pixie stick, a ring pop, a bottle of bubble solution, a bottle of roll-on body glitter and the nail polish. They all left happy little girls!

We caught M trying to sneak a cupcake before we had even gotten a chance to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.

And here are my two girls right before we were gathering the crowd together to sing.

I thought this was such a cute picture, so I had to show it!

I've been making cupcakes more often, lately, that M has become addicted to them! She's always asking me for a "cuppa cake"! And she takes her time to really enjoy them. She starts off by eating all the sprinkles, then gets to the frosting and saves the cake part till the end.

I made this 2D doll for her present. I used the image of the drawing I made of M's doll, dressed as a fairy. I also made her a clothespin fairy doll and a book bag for her to carry all her drawing supplies. Lately she's gotten more into drawing and is always getting her own paper from our printer and steals a pencil from her big sister's homework supplies box. So I also got her some Crayola color wonder finger paints and a tablet of wonder paper for her to color on.

I think the party lasted about 3 1/2 hours. Not bad, but still very tiring for my girls, my husband and myself. But all in all a big success, I would say!

I know this post is almost a week late, but I needed some time to relax after all the planning and preparing for M's birthday party, and then actually having the party, this past Saturday. I just wanted to wish my little girl another wonderful year! I know she and all our fairy guests enjoyed the party!

I would just like to write a few more words about my little fairy princess to look back on.

Things I love about you...
*You are an amazingly smart girl! I'm always surprised with how much you can already say, understand and how well you communicate!
*You are strong-willed and I have so much confidence that you will be able to stick up for yourself if someone ever tries to make you feel bad.
*You are mostly serious. I only get to see you smile whenever you are being a little clown and find yourself funny or if we tickle you.
*You are funny and love getting attention, especially from you two grandmas, whom you call 'Niania'.
*You also love your two grandmas a lot! I don't know any other child in our family who appreciates and is affectionate towards their grandmother like you do!
*You call your two grandpas "Papa" and even though you are still are still cautious around them, it is clear that you are curious about them, care for them and know their importance in our family.
*You are also a very grumpy little girl. Especially after a nap, whenever you don't get to do what you want or feel that your big sister is not nice to you.
*You are a daddy's girl, just like your sister. But I guess that is also because your Dadda is such a softie when it comes to his girls! He lets you step all over him!
*You call yourself "Baba" and your big sister "Hoho". For a long time you wouldn't even say C's name and when you started calling her that, we didn't know you were referring to C, until one day you asked me, "Mama, where could Hoho be?" right after she left for school. That's when i figured out every time we heard you say "Hoho" you were saying C's name! We think it's so funny and cute!
*You have a funny way of saying "Cinderella" and "umbrella" and any other word you can think of with -ella in it. I wish I could describe it in words but it's really difficult, but basically it's a lot of tongue rolling against your lips so it sounds like you're doing a childish taunt.
*You are very attentive to our house cat, named Little Boy. (Don't know who named him that. He came with the house.) You always want to make sure he gets fed and you ask to be able to feed the cat, even if he has already eaten. And the look of contentment after having taken care of Little Boy is priceless! You say, "Ok, kitty?! Ok! Bye!" just before leaving him to eat.
*You are becoming an amazing artist! You carefully and with a lot of concentration, draw perfect tiny little circles all over a sheet of paper. You prefer using a nicely sharpened pencil and can fill up a whole page and then go grab a new page to do it all over again! So much determination and patience and artistic ability!
*You are very understanding when I take the time to explain things to you and you're eager to please me by doing what I ask of you. You rarely ever act up with me and you've been very easy going considering how strong-willed you are.
*You are strong and agile! It always surprises me whenever I catch you doing something physical at your age, like jumping for long periods of time without stopping or carrying heavy things even your older sister refuses to carry cause they're too heavy for her.


Thank you for being who you are! Our family wouldn't be the same without you and I feel so lucky to be your mom! I love you! Happy Birthday my 2 year old!