Monday, February 11, 2008

My first doll

I have been crafting on and off for about five years now, but I rarely ever took a picture of the things I made before giving them away, and because I didn't have a blog back then I didn't have any other way of documenting my work. So, I wanted to take the time to post about one project in particular, that I made this past August of 2007, because I do have one picture of it to show and because it meant so much to me. It is M's handmade doll, by me and my first doll ever! I've made softies and dolls before, but this is the first one of my own design.

I made this doll in a challenge I had with my mother-in-law, which I'll refer to from now on as Grandma K. She suggested that we both make a soft toy, without telling each other what we were going to do and have it done by a certain date and then have a show and tell. I liked the idea and was immediately drawn to making a doll. I guess having two little girls was the reason why I chose this and because I hadn't made M many toys, I decided to make it for her. Grandma K made an obscure shape into a 2-dimensional softie. When she showed it to me I couldn't figure out what it was. I wish I had a picture of it to show you! But if you could imagine, it was basically a comma made into a plush, with artistic designs drawn with fabric markers, colorful embroidery stitching and some beadwork. It was definitely artistic, but because I couldn't see my kids being able to play with it, I think I didn't find it as appealing as my own doll. And I think she preferred my doll, as well, simply because the doll was the doll-like image of my little girl, M. Grandma K offered to let me take a picture of her softie so that i can post it here.


I really like how the doll looks, but I have to admit that it is a bit too fragile for a toddler to handle. So I might have to try making another one soon, if this one doesn't last. I can't keep it away from my little girl because she loves the doll so much! I posed it with her arms crossed because that's what my little girl was doing a lot at the time. I also tried to make her look as much like her without making it too realistic and keep it's doll-look. M's hair is growing fast and I haven't had the chance to cut her bangs to keep the hair out of her face, so I made the doll with the same disheveled hair. I also gave the doll a little pout because M was always doing that when she wanted to kiss me or to just throw kisses in the air to me. And, of course, she would show me when she was upset by crossing her arms. She's a few months older now, so she doesn't do all of that anymore or at least not as often, but I like that I was able to capture my little girl in that point in time when she was like that. Maybe the next doll I make for her will be different, as she is constantly changing as she grows and learns new things, but it will still be my M. Well, hopefully the dolls I make can last so that I can store them as family heirlooms and then be able to give my girls their dolls when they are older or have children of their own.

Obviously I had to make one for C, and I did, for x mas. She loved it as well! But I'll have to post more on that one on a later date.