Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Our swap was well received!

So, my family and I mailed off our swap package to it's recipients on Saturday and I got word from Tiffany, last night, that they already got their package! I had been waiting for this to happen so I could finally have something to say and show for what my girls and I have been up to this past month. I haven't done any more crafting since Valentine's day and since we completed our part of the swap. It seems like a long break to me and I think now I'm ready to get onto the next project!

Tiffany emailed me to tell me how happy she and Max were with the things we put together. It really made my day and makes me feel warm inside! It makes it all worth it! I've made many handmade gifts to family members, but I don't get the same response from them as I did with Tiffany. They kind of expect it and are polite and say thanks, but it's never with any real appreciation for the work that goes into it and for the details I put into each gift that makes it unique and gives it my own touch. I must admit, I still consider myself a beginner, so maybe they just see it as something "homemade" rather than something "handmade"; with love, I might add! Oh well! Just like last X mas and all the birthdays, I still intend on hand-making all (or as many as possible!) gifts I give out.

I took some pictures of the swap package we made, right before we packed them up. I didn't get any real close-ups of each item, so I hope this will do! Tiffany also had trouble taking pictures, as she told me that her little boy, Max got excited and took off with everything, so she found it difficult to get everything back together. Maybe she'll post some pictures of some of the things we made. So, here they go!



First, what we made and/or bought for Max. I had C draw me some pictures of transportation vehicles, onto fabric and I added them to the bunting. I used colors that Tiffany described, were part of Max and Oliver's room decor. Then, I found a cute small canvas with a drawing of a snail and I thought that maybe Max would like to paint it himself and put it up proudly in his room or give it as a gift! I also found a cute tote bag with an appliquéd truck on the outside and I thought it would be nice for Max to carry his favorite cars, toys and other small items little kids like to find and collect. I also learned that Max loves Matchbox cars and so I couldn't sent him a package without adding a few of those! My girl, C and I then made some Kool-Aid play dough and packed them in small plastic containers so they can be stored when not in use and make them last longer. And I tried out freezer paper stenciling for the first time and made a cute shirt with an image of an antique ride-on car for him.

I think I'll save the rest of the swap package we sent for another post, as this post is already too long! But here are links to the website I got the tutorial for the freezer paper stenciling and the images I used. You'll also be able to see the rest of the swap package on the Mini Swap flickr group, if you're interested.